Skip to main content

To: My "Forehead Number"

Neon signs are obvious in their message.  It is bright, short, and attention getting.  They leave no doubt in their warning and allow us to quickly process how to proceed.

Early in my marriage my husband said he wished I had a neon sign on my forehead displaying any mood I was in, especially the unpleasant ones.  I was 20 when I got married and happy to say, had a lot of growing up to do.  As the years went on we got smarter. Why not be our own neon sign and communicate that?

So, we came up with the term, "our forehead number".

Before understanding how to determine your forehead number one must understand himself a bit.  The Food Hunger Scale is pretty elementary and well known: at zero we are painfully hungry we could eat anything and at ten we are so stuffed we could go into hibernation.  The Emotion Scale is needed to understand your "forehead number."  Are you as cool as a cat at a zero or are you at a ten throwing your fist into a wall?

I like to keep myself between a zero and four.  When I am passing a four, I know I need to kick in some self-soothing (oh, another great post for later) techniques.  I have a bucket full according to my situation.  Staying in control is wonderful, but I am not always my ideal.

This is where our forehead numbers come into play.  Situations arise where the house is about to catch fire.  Have you been there?  Every child is screaming, emotion buckets are flooded, and what do you want to do- flee, as fast and far away as possible.

Simply hands up to the forehead or a verbal cue of, "I'm at an 8" is a clear neon sign, "I'm outta here!".  Really, a way to communicate to the spouse, "I need to go take care of myself, I'll be back." Skills are needed to know what to do when you leave the room, at another time we can discuss these thoughts.

For us, this comes in handy mostly when we are in a house full of kids.  We like teaching our children, rather than reacting to our children.  Removing ourselves, allowing the other spouse to take care of the children, and return once we are calmer, allowing us to be in control.  This is also very helpful when we are upset with each other. Why would anyone discuss things when their forehead number is high (oh, to new or unfigured out relationships)? Simply, a hon, "my forehead number is high, I need a break" works wonders.  I know the script is much different than the play, but, even with emotions rolling, it still works, as long as there is respect for each other and the plan.  Coming back cool headed (no pun intended) allows the relationship, household, or individual for respect to remain.

Perhaps through the day you can ask yourself, "what's my forehead number"?  Could you pin point yours?  Practice.  It is nice to be in control and have skills even when you are vulnerable.

Be your own neon sign and clearly communicate to those around.

Thank you,

Communication of the Emotion Scale




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: Getting a baby to sleep

Many friends have asked me to post on my tips to get a baby to sleep.  I have followed the same guidelines for all my babies and they begin sleeping 12 hours a night at around 12 weeks old.  That's right, a solid 12 hours without waking me up!  I will post as if I just had my baby yesterday.  I always tell moms if they are having sleep problems to revert back to the very basics, as if they just brought their baby back home, no matter the age. And follow these steps to make sure they are being met.  Many times this corrects the problem.

Also, this post is not for controversy, simply sharing what has worked for me to help others.  Another thought, I do not share the bed with my babies.  One of my number one desires is to get the baby to sleep through the night.  I am a much happier human being when I get my sleep.  Having a baby in bed for one would not let me sleep (I have a hard enough time sharing my bed with my husband, haha) and secondly, I don't want me or my bed to be my…

To: Loneliness or not so lonely

When in the globe of our own trial, it is difficult to not feel imprisoned by loneliness.  It's easy to think we've been the only one that has walked 'this' path, leaving ourselves dry of others help and console. 

What about when very few have walked our path, are we then justified to prove to be the most lonely, desperate, or upset?  Aren't these feelings what drive us away from what we desire and entraps us into a world we can not escape?  We are left bitter, alone, and angry.

But, those same feelings are also an advocate to welcome others into the once forsaken globe.

I asked a dear friend how she does not feel alone with coping with the loss of her son.  I was feeling angry and alone with the limits I have and the lack of understanding others have about chronic pain and she responded by saying, "we all have the same emotions".  Even though someone might not have lost their son, they have felt a deep sense of despair, loss, and anger and in that I k…

To: In the Minds Eye

My mom and I went to a meditation class and the instructor used the phrase, "in the minds eye" about a million times during the class. For my mom it made her feel like she wanted to squirm out of her seat.  She    r e a l l y   needed a new phrase.  But for me, it really made me ponder what was in my "mind's eye".  "Mind's eye" refers to the human ability to visualize, i.e., to experience visual imagery; in other words, one's ability to "see" things with the mind.

A few posts ago I wrote about sleep training babies.

What is in our mind's eye, or another word, what is our focus when sleep training our babies?

Our minds eye changes according to the priority we have in any given problem we are trying to overcome.  A friend asked me my advice on how to help her children sleep.  After discussing the problems we concluded quickly it was not the children's problem, it was a parenting problem.  Many times our children's problem…