Skip to main content

Pain, it's good?

Pain is good, right?  It alarms us when something is wrong and we need to take action.  So, it is good, right?

Well, something has been going wrong in my body for the last almost 15 years now I and I still have not figured out that cause.  Leaving me deemed, a chronic pain patient, lost between doctors.

In the last 6 months I have made more progress than I have in years.  I have poured money, time, energy, visited lots of doctors, had many tests done, had surgeries and procedures, and heard lots of opinions.  That didn't seem to bring me further than around the block, so I decided to look at what goes into my body- food, supplements, etc.

So far I have taken out and discover that the following triggers pain (headaches, facial pain, jaw pain, neck pain, anxiety or depression): gluten, diary, sugar, caffeine, soybeans, Brazil nuts, cashews, peanuts, sesame seeds, any artificial sweetener, Melatonin, and additives.

This process has been difficult (to be kind and gentle on my word usage) as I have had to eliminate things and re-introduce them, triggering pain.  As of late I have had a headache for 3 weeks that has not budged, luckily, I believe I have found this cause and the headache is dissipating.

But, pain is good, right?

It is.

Pain is my indicator, my gauge.  My guide.  My bodies way of telling me- yes or no.

But seriously, pain.  Is there no other way?

This is the main reason why I have taken up such a passion in mental health.  How can someone not be driven nuts with pain for some many years?   It motivated me to become a licensed Recreational Therapist, seek out many therapist to learn from, and eventually I'll go back to gain more initials behind my name in more schooling I desire.

Sometimes I am sad, overwhelmed, angry, confused.... but, I am happy now, despite my chronic pain. I have learned invaluable tools to choose happiness and to work through the emotions pain brings.

So, in those moments I have pain, I need to remember it is my gauge, my internal message board letting me know yes or no.  Eventually, I'll work through my chronic pain causes and in the mean time I can say thank you to pain.  As difficult as it is, it is needed to get me the answers I need.

Thank you,

Progress

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: Saying Goodbye

I have had to say goodbye to things and people in my life that at moments or stages in my life seem to have taken everything from me. We grow and allow things and people to be deeply roots in our heart and when asked to say good bye a part of our heart goes with it. I can remember the first time I lost my best friend.  I still remember waving good bye and feeling as though I was saying goodbye to every memory we had made.  At five years old across town seemed too far and my heart broke for what it felt and understood. As I grew I had to say goodbye to many things that my heart longed to keep forever.  At the time my world was crushed, but as pieces were put back together perspective became tangible, helping dull its sharp edges. When I left for college I was driven to break up with a boy friend as I could foresee our paths would not be happy together in the future.  Our passions and desires were too different.  I knew I had to say goodbye, but my world went into a million piece

To: The Beginning

Writing seems to be a healthy avenue for me and after doing so, I seem to have one little triumph whether it be: more understanding, a problem solved, or just some found peace. For years friends have encouraged me to begin a blog or write a book so You can learn from me as I do my research and apply it.  I've had a long history of chronic pain, which quickly deemed it's shadow: anxiety and depression.  It doesn't really matter which egg hatched first or how strongly genetics played it's role. I used to chase that topic, thinking it would help me discover some huge clue, but I have come to realize the importance is found in accepting what troubles me, so I can chase what will help me.  The word overcome has seemed to deem its place in my mind and heart and no matter the amount of years I swim with the ebb and flow of my journey, I seem to never loose hope that I will overcome what challenges me.  Aren't we what we need to overcome?  My habits, my personality,

To: A World Within

When I pick up my son from the child watch at the gym, I enjoy watching him play before I interrupt his flow.  Sometimes I get lucky and get welcomed into his world that he is envisioning and experiencing. As we grow older the ability to jump from our present world into a made up one in our mind diminishes and we are "stuck" here.  Perhaps can I say we jump into a worried future (anxiety) or into an unpleasant past (depression), much more often than diving into a playful imaginative world. We still have that ability.  Children have a wonderful way about them keeping harmony within themselves.  Not only are they playing, but wonderful physiological changes occur within their body as they are lost conquering pirates or being the finest of princesses. When you are physically laying upon the beaches of the Caribbean your body is able to absorb from its senses and by doing so, your equilibrium is balanced.  Smelling the fresh air, feeling the warm sand, tasting the salt in t