Skip to main content

To: The Beginning

Writing seems to be a healthy avenue for me and after doing so, I seem to have one little triumph whether it be: more understanding, a problem solved, or just some found peace. For years friends have encouraged me to begin a blog or write a book so You can learn from me as I do my research and apply it. 

I've had a long history of chronic pain, which quickly deemed it's shadow: anxiety and depression.  It doesn't really matter which egg hatched first or how strongly genetics played it's role. I used to chase that topic, thinking it would help me discover some huge clue, but I have come to realize the importance is found in accepting what troubles me, so I can chase what will help me. 

The word overcome has seemed to deem its place in my mind and heart and no matter the amount of years I swim with the ebb and flow of my journey, I seem to never loose hope that I will overcome what challenges me. 

Aren't we what we need to overcome?  My habits, my personality, my body and mind, my character, my interests and drives.... I find everything that make me, me, is my biggest advocate and also my biggest weakness.  And with that, I am driven to understand how to use what I excel in to bring me to overcoming what I do not. 

And with that, I present to you, my blog: OVERCOME YOU

I love many faucets of life: cultures, professions, leaders, perspectives, etc.. because each hold tools that show me snippets of overcoming.  And by taking each bit and making a habit of them, slowly my life patterns change and I am able to check "that one" off the list and move onto the next item to overcome. 

As I write, I will address whatever topic I'd like to write about for that day, whether it be an emotion, logistics of the day, long term problem, ect.  and then end the writing by saying, "Thank you": therapy, Gandhi, Mindfulness, etc.- whatever is addressed in the post that has helped me find my mini triumph.

Even though this blog is for me to keep account of what I am learning, I also hope to connect to many of you, helping me to realize that I am not alone in my world of chronic pain, or life's hardships.  I come in and out of these worlds of mine, as many of us do.  Together, we can support each other and share how to overcome our worlds. 

So today, I will end with saying,

Thank you,

You

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: Saying Goodbye

I have had to say goodbye to things and people in my life that at moments or stages in my life seem to have taken everything from me. We grow and allow things and people to be deeply roots in our heart and when asked to say good bye a part of our heart goes with it. I can remember the first time I lost my best friend.  I still remember waving good bye and feeling as though I was saying goodbye to every memory we had made.  At five years old across town seemed too far and my heart broke for what it felt and understood. As I grew I had to say goodbye to many things that my heart longed to keep forever.  At the time my world was crushed, but as pieces were put back together perspective became tangible, helping dull its sharp edges. When I left for college I was driven to break up with a boy friend as I could foresee our paths would not be happy together in the future.  Our passions and desires were too different.  I knew I had to say goodbye, but my world went into a million piece

To: A World Within

When I pick up my son from the child watch at the gym, I enjoy watching him play before I interrupt his flow.  Sometimes I get lucky and get welcomed into his world that he is envisioning and experiencing. As we grow older the ability to jump from our present world into a made up one in our mind diminishes and we are "stuck" here.  Perhaps can I say we jump into a worried future (anxiety) or into an unpleasant past (depression), much more often than diving into a playful imaginative world. We still have that ability.  Children have a wonderful way about them keeping harmony within themselves.  Not only are they playing, but wonderful physiological changes occur within their body as they are lost conquering pirates or being the finest of princesses. When you are physically laying upon the beaches of the Caribbean your body is able to absorb from its senses and by doing so, your equilibrium is balanced.  Smelling the fresh air, feeling the warm sand, tasting the salt in t

To: Threat

The feeling of threat seems to preside, when our skills to cope with what we are feeling angst about is not practiced or known. I used to feel threatened much more than I do now.  I suppose growing up helps.  I used to be worried about what people would say or think about me.  I coped by people pleasing, perfectionism, disordered eating/ working out or other unhealthy coping skills- and because of this, I felt threatened often.  If I didn't do, behave, perform or say the right thing, according to what the other persons expectations were, I felt threat.  And when I couldn't take it any longer and would do it "the way I wanted", I felt guilty, disloyal, or in the wrong. When I was a new mom, esp. of two young boys, I felt threatened by my own emotions.  I did not know how to cope with the constant physical, mental, and emotional demands placed upon me.  Always being in pain with my headaches and jaw pain only complicated the matters.  I felt stuck in my world I was