Skip to main content

To: Saying Goodbye

I have had to say goodbye to things and people in my life that at moments or stages in my life seem to have taken everything from me.

We grow and allow things and people to be deeply roots in our heart and when asked to say good bye a part of our heart goes with it.

I can remember the first time I lost my best friend.  I still remember waving good bye and feeling as though I was saying goodbye to every memory we had made.  At five years old across town seemed too far and my heart broke for what it felt and understood.

As I grew I had to say goodbye to many things that my heart longed to keep forever.  At the time my world was crushed, but as pieces were put back together perspective became tangible, helping dull its sharp edges.

When I left for college I was driven to break up with a boy friend as I could foresee our paths would not be happy together in the future.  Our passions and desires were too different.  I knew I had to say goodbye, but my world went into a million pieces.  I had no idea how to pick up an entire globe that existed.  His rotation helped mine keep in place, without his, I did not know how to keep on spinning. It seems funny to be talking about this now as I have been married to the man of my dreams now for 11 years with three beautiful children, but, at that time of my life, saying goodbye was what my existence was about.  Learning to continue to rotate by myself, alone at college in an entire new place was foreign and the most uncomfortable I have ever been in my life.  It has taken me many, many years to overcome those feelings of having to be alone and rocking my world.  But, saying good bye to that old friend, and moving away from home to a new place also shifted my world into a new, healthier access.  That perspective took years to see and understand.

Sometimes it is all about timing and saying goodbye.  Are we ready and prepared or is simply the act of saying goodbye what teaches us what we need to know?  Having to move away to college, a break up, and adjusting to college life is what taught me what I needed to know.  I don't think it was necessarily that specific person or just moving away from home, but it was saying goodbye to everything I knew, so I could learn to grow up, depend on new things and grow from being independent.

A few years later all my pain hit, and I fought the loss of my healthy body.  I still struggle with this and I fight for what I once had.  But, as I have fought to say goodbye to the old self, I have gained confidence and empowerment as I am able to let in the new me and accept what is.

With my last post I spoke of acceptance as we sail new waters and arrive upon new destinations.  Currently I am faced with saying goodbye to a lifestyle I am comfortable with and struggle to accept the new one I know I must explore.

Isn't that life, saying goodbye to things and people that were once deeply rooted into our hearts, and find new paths, develop new habits and relationships, and choose to be okay with the goodbye because many times that goodbye opens a door that allows us to feel and experience what is meant to be?

A goodbye many times is the hardest thing we must do, but in its acceptance and understanding our new rotation, we discover its okay to wave goodbye and across town no longer seems that far away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To: A World Within

When I pick up my son from the child watch at the gym, I enjoy watching him play before I interrupt his flow.  Sometimes I get lucky and get welcomed into his world that he is envisioning and experiencing. As we grow older the ability to jump from our present world into a made up one in our mind diminishes and we are "stuck" here.  Perhaps can I say we jump into a worried future (anxiety) or into an unpleasant past (depression), much more often than diving into a playful imaginative world. We still have that ability.  Children have a wonderful way about them keeping harmony within themselves.  Not only are they playing, but wonderful physiological changes occur within their body as they are lost conquering pirates or being the finest of princesses. When you are physically laying upon the beaches of the Caribbean your body is able to absorb from its senses and by doing so, your equilibrium is balanced.  Smelling the fresh air, feeling the warm sand, tasting...

To: In the Minds Eye

My mom and I went to a meditation class and the instructor used the phrase, "in the minds eye" about a million times during the class. For my mom it made her feel like she wanted to squirm out of her seat.  She    r e a l l y   needed a new phrase.  But for me, it really made me ponder what was in my "mind's eye".  "Mind's eye" refers to the human ability to visualize, i.e., to experience visual imagery; in other words, one's ability to "see" things with the mind. A few posts ago I wrote about sleep training babies. What is in our mind's eye, or another word, what is our focus when sleep training our babies? Our minds eye changes according to the priority we have in any given problem we are trying to overcome.  A friend asked me my advice on how to help her children sleep.  After discussing the problems we concluded quickly it was not the children's problem, it was a parenting problem.  Many times our children's prob...

To: Letting You In

Having soft music play in my ears allows me to stay in control and in the moment.  Life is fast paced, but the music is a reminder to me to stay in the moment and feel, rather than react. I have three little babes jotting around.  One in particular is sensitive to his outside world and how it affects him.  The thought came to me about my head phones.  It probably appears that I am trying to block the outside world out.  Son, "it is not to block you out, but a way to let you in." We are in charge of the shells that surround ourselves.  How hard do you keep yours?  I like my soft and hard, all at the same time.  I like being permeable to the impressionable and hard to the bracing balls to dodge.  If I am not careful, my shell becomes flooded and no longer pliable to the things I need my heart to be connected to: God, myself, my husband, my children, and then others. There are many ways to stay intuitive and grounded within ourselves. ...